Sunday, November 28, 2010

Butternut Squash Soup

IMAG1099

This year, we had Thanksgiving for my side of the family at my house – I’ll write a separate post about that (probably). 

I decided that in addition to the usual turkey, stuffing, potatoes, etc., I wanted to make this soup.  I had some very good butternut squash soup at Wabash College a few weeks ago, and this was inspired by that.  I don’t think mine turned out as good, but I definitely still enjoyed it, and would recommend that anyone try it out – it’s really easy, and so tasty.  Perfect Fall dish.

Also, my mom surprised me with a stick blender, so I was itching to use it on something!

YOU WILL NEED:

  • 1 butternut squash (2-3 lbs)
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 onion (medium-large)
  • 6 cups vegetable stock
  • cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, pepper

YOU WILL NEED TO":

  1. Dice the onion.
  2. In a large pot, melt the butter and cook the onion until it turns all soft and translucent.IMAG1092
  3. While that’s going on, peel and de-seed the squash.  (Peel, then cut in half hot-dog style and scoop out the seeds with a spoon.)  Then, cut it into about 1-inch pieces.
  4. Add the squash and the stock to the onions – cover and let simmer until the squash is soft (should be around 20 minutes).
    IMAG1093
  5. Remove from heat, and use a stick blender to puree the squash and onion (you can use a regular blender, but it requires the extra step of straining the squash out of the broth, blending, then adding it back in).
    IMAG1096
    The soup should still be pretty thin – if you prefer a thicker soup, just use less stock. (or more squash!)
  6. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste.  Serves about 10 (depending on portions).

No comments:

Post a Comment