Stumbleupon – the nightmare browser add-on that will keep you up for hours after you told yourself you had to go to bed – is great, because you and your wife can swap recipes and pictures of dogs and cats and other funny things without even talking to each other about it!
So that’s pretty much what we did here.
Stumbleupon directed Mary to this article, and the allure of an entire breakfast in one small muffin-sized area was too great to resist.
If you read through that article, you’ll see that I’ve deviated from that recipe a tiny bit – but not really enough to make any difference. I used wide, thick sliced bacon – which may have actually been the wrong way to go. Thinner bacon would have crisped up faster, allowing the eggs to cook less.
But you be your own judge. This recipe yields six.
YOU WILL NEED:
- 6 slices of bread
- 6 slices of pepper bacon
- 6 medium eggs
- Shredded cheese (I use a chedder/colby mix)
- salt, pepper, or whatever you like with breakfast
YOU WILL NEED TO:
- Grease a muffin pan. I used butter, since I was out of spray.
- Preheat your oven to 400. YES FAHRENHEIT.
- Cut circles of bread out of the slices. I used a pint glass. They fit really nicely down into the bottoms of the muffin areas. Depressions? Pockets? Cups?
- Press those bread circles down into the muffin places.
- Cook the bacon on the stove (in a skillet) – but not all the way. Keep them a little floppy, but make sure they’re well on their way – browned a bit. Maybe 4 minutes.
- Fit the bacon strips around the inside of the muffin places, making a ring on top of each bread circle.
- Throw some cheese down into each bacon-y cup.
- Cook in the oven for around 5 minutes – the cheese should be well on the way to melting, and the bacon will crisp up a bit more.
- Take the muffin pan out. Crack each egg and drop them into your bacon cups.
- Season, or add more cheese.
- Put back in the oven until the egg whites stop jiggling when you shake the pan – around 8 or 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven – they pop out really easily with a fork or spoon. Eat em!
*Mine were a little overly cooked. I made two without bacon for Matt, who is not of the meat-eating persuasion, so the timing was a bit off for getting everything cooked just right. His breakfasts didn’t have the ring-o-bacon protection.
Thanks to The Noshery for posting such a great idea!