Monday, October 25, 2010

On Power Outfits

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about the concept of power outfits lately.  My good friend Mike got me started on the idea a few years ago (might actually be several, now) when he announced that he was wearing a “Mike Dodaro power outfit today”.  Mike’s power outfit is a long-sleeved T-shirt under a short-sleeved T-shirt.  He has a few standard mixes, but that’s the basic gist of the outfit.

I’ve recently come to understand what my power outfit is.  A quick word on just what that means – a power outfit (rather obviously, I think) is an outfit that makes you feel just that – powerful.  You are the most comfortable in it, and it can get you through many situations in your life – social or otherwise.  Out to bars, doing hangouts, relaxing by yourself, a quiet night in – even casual day at the office.  It’s an outfit that makes you feel your best every time you put it on, no matter what.  It can even turn a bad day into a good day.  It’s that powerful.

Anyway – my power outfit happens to be a long-sleeved dress shirt underneath a short-sleeved T-shirt.  It is very similar to Mike’s power outfit with one crucial exception – the collar.  I have come to realize that collars are very important to me.  As a teacher, I wear shirts with collars almost every day.  I’m talking about collars you can wear a tie with, not just regular shirt collars – I really like the way they cover 1/3 of my neck.  So, my power outfit combines the formality of having almost half of my neck covered with the laid-back-itude of a T-shirt.

Runner ups for my power outfits include:

  • blazer/sport coat over a hoodie
  • black dress shirt untucked with a red skinny tie and jeans

I wanted to have pictures for this post, but I can’t find any that work right now.  Maybe someday.  This post is kind of short and boring and all about men’s fashion anyway – OH WELL.  There should be come good recipe posts this weekend – stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. It's an interesting idea. I actually have to think about what my power outfit would be...I would say a white oxford with button down collar and sleeves rolled up, solid sweater vest, and a pair of jeans with some cool shoes.

    I am also a big fan of the sports coat over hoodie combo.

    ReplyDelete