Monday, March 14, 2011

A Review of a Flash Game

redThere are a few things to know about me. You should probably know them already.

We are no longer friends.

Anyway, I like playing video games. A lot. Some people could (and would) probably say that I waste too much time playing video games. To them, I could (and would) point out all the other people who waste way more time than me.

See?

Innocence through the substantially larger guilt of others.

The other thing you should know about me is my love of minimalist design. Less is usually more, especially in the web-based flash world.

Regular readers of my first blog may remember a review of another flash game, Robot and the Cities That Built Him. My love for that game is rooted in similar soil. Artfully done games are a rarity, and when one is found, it needs to be shared.

The actual game I’d like to talk about right now is called Red. It is sort of a callback to the old paratrooper/missile defense games. I remember my dad staying up late at night, playing Paratrooper on the first computer we had (the one with the velcro-on monitor glare shield).

It takes that basic game, though, and remakes it in a very classy, inviting way. The design is simple, the controls are basic, and the soundtrack is killer. Easy way to make a game – looks great, plays intuitively, and doesn’t clutter up the screen with too much. How enjoyable. Go play it.

 

There are a couple of other games I’d like to link to, but I can’t remember what they’re called. I know I’ve liked them on Stumbleupon, but since I’ve liked around 900 pages, I’m not about to go back through and look at each one.

In one of the games, you play a small 2-or-3 pixel figure that jumps around an equally pixelated series of worlds collecting glowing dots. It’s very artistic and satisfying.
In the other, your mission is to fly around to onlookers during the World Trade Center attacks and read their thoughts. The soundtrack makes the whole thing a very ethereal experience.
IF you know either of those games, please tell me where I can find them again. Thanks!

1 comment: