Monday, August 1, 2011

Adventures at the Lawrenceburg Roach Motel

Our good friend Mike (you know Mike, you know, Mike? Mike Mike?) recently took a position at some high school (I want to say St. Leon) in Lawrenceburg, Indiana. I know I could look that up, but my hands are on the keyboard right now, and I really want to keep that going. After all, my internet browser is also where my Stumbleupon toolbar is.

Anyway, Mike took the position and moved down there about a week ago. It’s about a 2 or 2.5 hour drive, so we are overall pretty bummed that we’re never going to see him again after his new neighbors walk into his unlocked (we told you not to!) apartment and choke punch stab steal all his things him to death. But that’s getting ahead of myself, because originally he didn’t even have those neighbors!

Why not?

Because he decided to rent a room at the roach motel! For honestly real real! We spent the week after he moved (so this past week) watching him Tweet about the roach infestation he was sharing his new apartment with. Here are some grainy cell phone pictures he sent me as proof for me to post on this blog:

Roach! Roach! Roachy Kitchen!

There’s also a picture of his kitchen up there. Note the general dilapidated state of everything. SEEMS LIKE A GREAT PLACE, EH BOYS?

Well, there’s where we went first, since we had to pick up a few bits of his furniture and move it to his new (his second choice, mind you) place, which is not only less expensive, but larger, closer to his job, professionally cleaned, and (most importantly) roach-free.

I wish I had more pictures of his new place. It is totally adequate in every way. The window is even big enough to get a desk through!

While we were there this weekend, we:

  • Went with Mike to IKEA to help him pick out a couch, during which I think he became slightly overwhelmed.

    I bought an orange trash can here. Testing it out.

Which one do I choose!? Deep breaths.

  • Assembled the couch back at his apartment, along with a TV stand. Matt replaced an extremely outdated gold-platey-looking chandelier with one Mike bought at IKEA.

    So easy! Slightly harder than the couch! Way better.
  • Enjoyed some whiskey and texting (if there’s one thing I know about mike, it’s that he loves whiskey and texting). We also played a game with quarters (and assorted European coins) called Minefield.

    Whiskey texts. LE MINES
  • Ate at Frisch’s Big Boy! I had a portabella-cap-capped burger (not pictured), and we split a piece of DEEP FRIED CHEESECAKE which was good, but entirely too much cheesecake for one person to handle safely.

Yea Buddy NOM

 

The whole weekend was a good mix of work (moving Mike in, building furniture, driving, etc.) and fun. It was great to see Mike, especially because he’s dead (to us, mostly) now, and will never be seen by anyone again. We did get to enjoy the experience of our car running out of gas – luckily, right as we pulled (coasted) into the parking spot at Mike’s apartment.

On the way home, we took a slight detour through Clayton so I could drive by and show Matt my old house. It was during that slight detour that we saw this fairly startling bit of scenery:

D?!

    I know what you’re thinking, and yes, it’s true. Someone finally bought a “D” and put it up on the sign. I would have left it, personally, after the twenty years or so that the store’s been without a “D”, but I guess since I’m not the one who bought and now owns the Clayton FooD Store, it’s not my call.

3 comments:

  1. What a hilarious recounting of your weekend adventures with the now-deceased Mike. Good job, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, the roaches totally gross me out and how sad is it that I just now found out that Clayton Foo Store now has a D! lol I haven't even noticed! How long has it been there?
    Heading to a viewing so thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! So glad you were able to help him move. What great friends you are!

    ReplyDelete