Saturday, February 5, 2011

24HBD #1: Best of 2010

For this topic, I had to consider what I wanted to focus on.  The best ‘what’ of 2010?  So I decided to look back through the pictures I took for my Picaday blog, and pick the best twenty.  So here are my 20 favorite pictures from 2010, in chronological order.

 

01-22-10  Monkeyshoes At Greyhouse

01-22-10

I took this picture during a Crazy Monkey show at Greyhouse Coffee & Supply Co.  The Crazy Monkeys means a lot to me – both as a group that includes and has included some of my very favorite people, but as one of the main forces that has shaped the last few years of my life.  Had I not joined the Crazy Monkeys, my life would not be what it is today.  I would probably not be married to the same person, as it was a trifecta-type friendship that included another member that brought Mary and I closer together.  I would have never performed improv comedy, and I would not have the friends I have today.  Some things shape our lives in ways we can’t know or understand – but the Crazy Monkeys have affected me in a very real, visible way, and for that I will always be grateful.

01-31-10  The Double Grilled Cheese Cheeseburger at D.T. Kirby’s

01-31-10

I don’t think I have to say very much about this burger – I mean, just look at it.  In lieu of a hamburger bun, these patties are lovingly placed between two grilled cheese sandwiches.  The freshly made fries are thinly sliced, allowing for maximum coverage of mustard, or any of the sauces that D.T. Kirby’s sends out on its platters.  If you haven’t eaten this monument to the achievement of mankind, you haven’t really eaten.

02-05-10  A Snowy Walk Home

02-05-10

Mary and I were walking home one night when I took this picture.  I don’t remember what we were doing out in the snow this late at night, but I do remember loving the walk.  Downtown Lafayette is very quiet late at night, and the snow on every surface really enhanced the feeling of quiet aloneness.  It was a nice walk – a walk, by the way, to our first apartment together.

02-10-10  Charlotte the Cat

02-10-10

I have had Charlotte the Cat since I was in fifth grade.  She came to live with Mary around about my junior year of college – a move that has made her life much, much happier.  The first year I went to college, I remember coming home after weeks of being away to find a cat that had not moved from one spot on my bed, except to eat or use the restroom.  In fact, I don’t think she ate any food for the first week or so.  She didn’t deal with change very well.  Since moving to Lafayette, though, she has been through four moves to different apartments (and one house!), so she is basically a nomad now.  She is quite literally the prettiest cat alive, and you will be hard pressed to convince me otherwise.

03-24-10  Burgeoning Collections

03-24-10a

I started buying records after Matt Van Noy gave us a record player as a sort of wedding present.  I was going to buy it from him, but he ended up just giving it to me.  Matt and I have not always been on the best terms – especially in recent times – but I do love the guy.  And I do love listening to records.

03-28-10  Eating at Chipotle

03-28-10

Mary and I eat at Chipotle probably more than we should.  It’s impossible, though, to not eat there often.  It’s way too good.  We always get the same thing – Mary likes chicken soft tacos with a little bit of pinto beans, lettuce, sour cream, and cheese.  I like the barbacoa soft tacos with some fajita onions & peppers, their tomato and corn salsas, cheese, lettuce, and sour cream.  There is nothing better, and I want some right now.  Now.  I wannit.

04-04-10  Jealousy

04-04-10

My mom has this really sweet camera.  I walked it around the yard in Clayton and took some pictures.  Needless to say, it takes way better pictures than my phone.  This is one of the best pictures I have ever taken – quality aside.  I just really like the way it’s composed.  I am tooting all of my own horns right now.

05-03-10  In The Alley

05-03-10

In the alley behind our downtown Lafayette apartment, there was this cool gate.  It was kind of falling apart, and it didn’t really look like it would open if it needed to, but it still made for a good picture.

06-19-10  Fancy Party!

06-19-10

Mary and I bought our first house!  We love it, and couldn’t be happier.  What do you do when you buy a house?  Have a party!  We enjoy dressing up and having fancy snacks, so we invited all of our friends to do the same.  We made fancy snacks, wore fancy clothes, and lived the night away.  We have since had two or three more fancy parties, and they are a super fun time.

06-20-10  Mike Has a Bag On His Head

06-20-10

Mike totes has a bag on his head.

06-24-10  At The Beach

06-24-10

Mary and I went to the beach.  It was the fun.  I also really like this picture.

07-18-10  Moose In Cor d’ALene

07-18-10

My brother got married over the summer!  So, in fact, did my current sister-in-law.  Anyway, they had a beautiful wedding in Cor d’Alene, Idaho, and we got to have a really fun vacation as a result.

08-10-10  So I Built This Thing

08-10-10

Over the summer, I built a deck and a fence.  It was probably the largest project I have ever undertaken, and I have to say I pulled it off quite nicely.  It’s probably not the best deck that could have been built, but for a guy who does not carpenter any type of carpentry ever, I think I did a pretty great job.  Also now we can have fancy parties outside!

08-25-10  Spiders EVERYWHERE

08-25-10

Seriously, there were so many spiders in my yard.  And this is a picture of a spider web that I consequently took because of it.

09-19-10  24 Hour Comic Book Day

09-19-10

We had a 24 hour comic book day!  I was the only one who made it all 24 hours.  I did not make the required length comic book, but I made a shortened one that actually wrapped up.  Comic accomplished!

11-08-10  Toothpicks

11-08-10

I took this picture of some toothpicks.  Hurrah.

11-11-10  Charlie the Cat

11-11-10

My mom’s cat, Charlie, has come to live with us!  He is a big ol’ ball o’ cat.  But he’s great!  We almost lost him there, though, when he went missing for a week.  But he came back, and now we have him, and everything is fine.  FINE.

12-12-10  Piano Time!

12-12-10

A friend of the family had to get rid of this piano, so my mom bought it and basically gave it to us.  Really cool!  I love how the keys are a little chipped and weathered.  Gives it a neat look.  Neither of us actually play piano, but I am planning on learning.  Might as well!

12-25-10

12-25-10

Christmas!  Totes Christmas.

12-31-10  KFC Tribute

12-31-10

For New Years this year, we all went down to Louisville and ate fried chicken at the Sanders’ gravesite.  It was a touching moment.  You can read more about it here.

1 comment:

  1. ugghhh so i'm soo hungry this blog is just taunting me.

    ReplyDelete