Saturday, February 5, 2011

24HBD #8: Theme Songs

Here’s my method – I am going to “shuffle” through 10 songs from my music library.  Ignoring similar styles and repeat artists, I will then assign that song to a mood or moment.  This will be a lot easier for me than just trying to think of random songs for random moods or moments.  That would take forever…

Ok, here we go.

My D*** Sux, by Giant Drag

I love Giant Drag.  Unnecessarily lewd song titles aside, their sound is really great, and their songs hit you in a hard-and-slow kind of way.  This is a song for getting pumped up in the car on your way to some kind of nerve-wracking event, such as your very first improv show.

Sexy Boy by Air

This album – Moon Safari – stands near the top of my favorite albums of all time, ever and always.  This song – this album – is perfect for chilling out, but staying upbeat.  Stay in your seats, close your eyes, lay back, tap your toes and enjoy the ride.

Phantom Part II by Justice

This is a song for breaking things.  The angry-faced fist pump is the only acceptable dance to perform to Phantom Part II.

I Bet You Look Good On The Dance Floor by Arctic Monkeys

Fast-paced, clever lyrics set this song apart.  Keep this on your list for your next fancy party, but make sure there’s a dance floor.  This is a song for celebrating.  Remember that thing you needed to get pumped up for?  This is a song to listen to after you nailed it.  That improv show you were worried about?  Well, you brought down the house, so treat yourself and your friends to some Arctic Monkeys.

Evening At Lafitte’s by Squirrel Nut Zippers

This is a song for white wine, nice ties, and yard parties.  This is a song for twilight, candlelight, and swing dancing.  Class the night away.

Little Motel by Modest Mouse

This, friends, is a song to get lost in.  Had a bad day?  Having a bad week?  Embrace your melancholy.

Girl and the Sea by The Presets

Haunting, beautiful, empty, remorseful, longing reminiscence - all things this song makes me feel.  It sounds like summer in a long-ago, yearning sort of way.  It speaks of things once-felt, regrets and wishes and far-off happiness.  Wait until that chorus kicks in, at the same time lost and empty.  This is a song for lens-flare sunset memories.

Play My Darling Play by Katzenjammer

Silly, sweet, and bouncy, this is a song for a first date – but only cute ones.  Awkward blind dates don’t count.

White Knuckles by OK GO

Motivation is hard to come by.  If you need some, pop in some OK GO – specifically, their 2010 album Of The Blue Color Of The Sky.  Man will these beats get you on the right track.  Listening to these tracks is probably the reason I built that deck so fast this summer.  I guess I didn’t apply that logic to fence construction, though.

Creep (Acoustic Cover) by Anberlin

Sometimes, you just want to be sad.  This is a song for sad.

3 comments:

  1. I really liked this post! How did you attach the songs to your blog? There's so many things I don't know....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt Gyure helped me out with that. There is just some HTML code to add to the post code, but I also had to host the songs somewhere. Luckily I could use his server, but I'm sure they could be hosted anywhere.

    ReplyDelete