Saturday, February 5, 2011

24HBD #2: Funniest Moments

YearpOkay, maybe a top twenty was a little too ambitious.  I barely made the deadline for that last one.   Maybe for this topic, I’ll just ramble on about whatever.  Seems to be the way to go.

I feel that in my life, I am surrounded by comedy.  Besides the obvious facts that I am a member of an improv comedy group and have friends in other improv comedy groups, my life just seems to be funny.  Teaching is a surprising source of hilarious stories.  There is apparently something inherently silly about putting thirty kids in a room together and expecting to teach them maths (or sciences, Englishes, social studies, or whatever subjects fit your situation).  It doesn’t have to be funny, but for whatever reason it turns out that way.

I smile a lot.  I think I must go through life in a bemused sort of stupor, because I find the funny in everything.  It doesn’t matter how serious or dangerous or somber the situation – I will always find a way to turn it into a joke.  Maybe it’s the way I deal with things – breaking the ice, even inappropriately so, is my way to ease tension around me. 

'Ey Bruce?!There’s that old stupid thing everyone quotes – “Laughter is the best medicine”.  I don’t know if that’s true or not – laughter certainly helps things, but I think using the word medicine is taking it a little far.  Maybe it’s mental medicine.  All I know is that I’m kind of a smartass, and I am extremely lucky to have found people to surround myself with who have that same sort of vein running through them. 

I was going to try to think of the funniest moments from my life, but nothing stood out.  It might be because of the time limit -  it really sucks the memory out of me.  I can remember lots of times where I was laughing, but I can’t remember what I was laughing about.  But maybe it’s better that way.  The joke doesn’t really matter – it’s the result that’s desired.  Making people laugh means making people feel good.  There’s something about cheering people up that’s so alluring.  It’s not the reason I got into comedy, but it’s a big reason for why I still do it.

In closing, I will leave you with this picture of Charlie the Cat (who you may remember from the last post), bereft of fur.  Funny right?

Poor Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment