Saturday, September 3, 2011

24HBD #7: Go Outside. Pick a Starting Spot and Direction. Walk 100 Steps. Find Something From That Spot and Blog About It.

I decided to start at the corner of Congress and 18th, and walk west. 100 steps brought me nicely to the corner of Congress and 16th.

16th & Congress

My walk brought me by some sidewalk that had, somewhere along the line, been swallowed by nature. Gonna happen to everything, someday.

swallowed

And now to the main event! At the corner of Congress and 16th street, there is a fairly normal fire hydrant. It’s sort of shrouded in some nice greenery, some flowers, and a broken cinder block which, rather than detracting from the overall setting, somehow made the whole thing very picturesque.

Nothing special about it, but, I thought, pretty nice. I’d want to have a fire put out in the area, if I could choose.

Whenever I take pictures like this, or even pictures in general, I try to focus on small details. I think close up, off-center shots of everyday objects are so appealing. Now, this shot isn’t all that close-up, but it’s a bit off-center. I like the focus of my photography – in this case, the hydrant – to be obscured in some way. Whether it’s as part of the background, or zoomed in and focusing on a small part of the whole, I like the main subject to be de-emphasized. I think it makes the shots more interesting. WELCOME TO WHAT TIM THINKS OF PHOTOGRAPHY. You didn’t even know you were here until you got here, did you?

No comments:

Post a Comment